Java is one of the most used programming languages in the world for developing desktop application and web application.
What is JAVA?
Java is a platform independent, object oriented programming language. More than 3 billion devices run Java
Who invented JAVA ?
- Created by James Gosling and his team from Sun Microsystems (Sun) in 1991
- The first version of Java (Java 1.0) was released in 1995.
- Sun Microsystems was acquired by the Oracle Corporation in 2010
- Current version of java SE is 16.0.1 released on March, 16th 2021
History of JAVA
- Initially developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems released in 1995
- Firstly, it was called “Greentalk” by James Gosling, and the file extension was .gt
- After that, it was called “Oak“-tree name outside of his office and was developed as a part of the Green project
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as “Java”
- Java is just a name, not an acronym
Why We should learn Java?
- Java works on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc.)
- It is one of the most popular programming language in the world
- It is easy to learn and simple to use
- It is open-source and free
- It is secure, fast, and powerful
- It has huge community support (tens of millions of developers)
- Java is an object-oriented language that gives a clear structure to programs and allows code to be reused, lowering development costs
- As Java is close to C++ and C#, it makes it easy for programmers to switch to Java or vice versa
Areas of Java
- Mobile applications (specially Android apps)
- Desktop applications
- Web applications
- Web servers and application servers
- Games development
WORA- Write Ones, Run Anywhere
Features of Java
- Simple: Java is a simple language to learn. The notions of pointers and operator overloading that were available in C++ are not included.
- Object Oriented: Everything can be modeled as an object with data and behavior. Abstraction, encapsulation, polymorphism, and inheritance are all object-oriented ideas that have been introduced into Java.
- Platform independence: Java is a language that can be written once and run anywhere. Once you compile java code, you can run it on any machine. For example: If you compile your code on Windows OS, you can easily run the same bytecode in linux OS.
- Portable: Java byte can be portable to any platform such as Windows, Linux, Centos, Raspberry pi and can be executed on any platform.
- Multi-threading: Java has provided multithreading feature which will help you to execute various task in parallel. It has introduced executor framework which is more robust and easy to use.
- High performance: Although java is not as fast as C and C++ because it is an interpreted language, it offers a number of performance-enhancing features such as a Just in Time compiler.
That’s all about Introduction to Java Programming. Thank you very much!